Monday, August 10, 2009

Reflection - Thing 23


I am very glad I decided to do this program. A couple of my library friends told me about it. One decided not to do the program, one started but hasn’t gotten very far into it, as of yet. It has given me an opportunity to at least skim the surface of 23 useful technologies that I would not have had the chance (or taken the chance) to do otherwise. I consider myself to be somewhat technology challenged so I have a tendency to shy away from this kind of thing because it is out of the realm of my expertise and comfort zone. This was a comfortable, self paced environment and the instructional blog was great.

I hope that the North Texas 23 blog page stays up on the internet for quite awhile. I plan on going back to explore some of the items and try to find ways to incorporate them into my library instruction and making our library more “visible.” Some of the things I would like to spend some more time with are podcasts, wikis and facebook. I really liked flickr, image generators, delicious, libworm, library thing and blog readers. I have a better understanding of RSS feeds and tagging now. A few things such as, digg, twitter and ning didn’t really do much for me, but I am glad that I had the opportunity to look at them and decide for myself.

I would like to see this sort of class offered on a regular basis and for those of us already familiar with the “23 Things,” maybe an “update” or “new uses for” refresher course sometime in the future.

Overall, I will recommend this to anyone who hasn’t had an opportunity to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment